- Paint Brush and Roller Brush
- Used 50 grit sandpaper
- Benjamin Moore Primer (tinted dark)
- Benjamin Moore High Gloss Black Paint
- Screwdriver and Bolt Cutter for knobs
- Knobs of your choice, I purchased mine from myknobs.com
DIY Dresser - Nursery Step 1
I'm a big fan of decorating and DIY blogs and last year I redid a craigslist old dresser find to a turquoise dresser for our bedroom. In preparing for our nursery, I've been scouring pinterest (I'm under jenworman) and blogs for inspiration and came upon this beautiful nursery.
It's my inspiration for our boy's room and I'll tweak some things to make it my boyish and modern, but I love the feel of this room.
First step: taking an old modern dresser to a high gloss black finish to match the chevron carpet I've purchased (which is the carpet in the pictures above).
This is the dresser BEFORE:
The tools you"ll need are pretty simple:
1) Remove knobs and drawers and sand down every part of the dresser. Last time I borrowed an orbital sander from a friend, but this time my husband did it by hand. An orbital sander definitely helps if the dresser has a lot of paint that needs to be sanded off and is much quicker. You definitely want to sand off any gloss or paint on the dresser so that your not painting on paint.
2) Prime it (one coat) - we had the Benjamin Moore store tint the primer darker since we were painting the dresser black. As you can see, we didn't' get too fancy and left the sides undone. . . you can definitely go the extra mile and paint the side of the drawers as well as the inside, but we decided not to. In addition, I didn't want paint inside the drawers once I fill it with baby clothes.
3) Painting (3 coats) - I wanted a high gloss look, but with high gloss paint you have to be careful with paint strokes and making sure things are done evenly. My husband did 3 coats of the high gloss black paint, rotating the dresser and drawers. Due to drying time and wanting to make sure we didn't nick the black paint, the priming and painting steps took about 3 days
4) Knobs - I kept the same knob holes and the amount of knobs which also made it easy (since I didn't have to fill any holes or create new ones). I'm going with silver finishes for our boy's room and love the look of the ring pulls; we purchased 12 for $56 which is a pretty good deal. The knobs we got were perfect in the holes and all my husband had to do was to cut the bolt to fit.
This is the finished product!
I love the look and the dresser will definitely be enough room to fit lots of clothes! Onto the next project - choosing a color for the room and we recently purchased a craigslist wingback chair that we are having upholstered. If you love these postings, I'll try to show more of how the room is coming along.
*Don't forget to check out my jewelry line and the fantastic January markdown sale! Items marked at 50% and 70% off!!