I recently came across Alex Brown and instantly wanted to have her do my hair! She has worked with various celebrities (Kardashians, Hadids, etc) and knows how to do sexy, gorgeous, fabulous hair. We wanted to show three easy ways to do your own hair starting with the sexy wave and how to progress from there!
She did all three looks within an hour and easily explained to me how to do each one. I’ll be sharing a video on my IGTV so head over to my Instagram to see it.
#1 Look – the Wave
Alex used Ouai Memory Mist on my dry hair to start and I’m not pushing products, I truly saw the difference and aded it to my cart when I got home. It helps with protecting your hair when styling and a bit of texture to keep the style.
A HUGE tip I learned from her – use a 1.25″ curling iron on half my hair underneath and 1″ curling iron on the top half. This enables the look to be a little more varied and effortless. After curling the whole head, she combed it out so the curls when so tight and finished with Ouai Texturizing Hair Spray.
Alex used this exact curling iron (but it is pricier).
#2 Look – The Bobby Pin Ponytail
Obsessed with this look and I’d love to wear this again (we changed it to do look #3). So chic and on-trend with the gold bobby pins. The bobby pins she uses are a steal and not too crazy on one side. Here is 100 for $6!
I rarely put my hair back and she taught me how to do an effortless ponytail with a few tips.
- Backcomb the crown so it isn’t so flat and leave some hair in the front (as shown below) as an layer.
- Once in a ponytail, take a piece of hair and wrap it around the rubber band and pin it underneath to give it a finished look.
- When bobby pinning the side – have fun and do crisscrosses and just play with it – there isn’t a perfect layout – it’s based on the look and feels.
- Achieve this look but first curling the hair and backcombing the ponytail as well to give it a messy texture.
The same Ouai Texturizing Hair Spray was used to finish the look. And boy, I forgot to mention the smell. Ouai items smell amazing and don’t leave hair feeling sticky or stiff.
#3 Look – the Glam Extension Ponytail
Ok, so I’ve been dying to do this hairstyle since the Kardashians made high ponytails a trend. I rarely put my hair back as I think my head is big and having my whole face out in the open isn’t my favorite. There is some comfort in hiding behind long hair but I really wanted to try this hairstyle and Alex was all in AND made it even more glam with hair extensions (just a few).
She slicked it back and the tips for this look were:
- The first extension is at the crown and you pull back half your hair in a pony.
- The second extension was the lower half of my head and she pulled up the rest of my hair to meet up with the top half. A sliver of the hair was then wrapped around the rubber band to cover it again.
- The ponytail hair was curled than backcombed through for fullness.
- A toothbrush was sprayed with the hair spray and combed through the top of my head as I have a ton of baby hairs.
I wore this look for two days straight and loved it! I’ll be back for sure to get more looks done as I LOVED how Alex styled my hair. I’m going to attempt to do them myself too and loved the tips.
Alex does cuts and extensions and is located in West Loop. You must check out her site and her work and she travels often to LA and NY. Thank you, Alex, for working your magic on my hair! xoxo