Today is my birthday and instead of the usual update I wanted to share a bit of advice for anyone out there that are in their 20’s, or 30’s or hell, I’m still learning myself every day how to manage life. A lot of these are simple things that when you put on paper seem so easy but are hard to do, but I live my life following a lot of these and wish I had done a few more in my 20’s. I love you guys for the thoughtful notes you send and thank you for making each year even better.
20 Pieces of Advice I’d Give My 20-Year-Old Self
1. Love changes and it’s ok to let go (don’t be afraid to be alone).
2. Know yourself before giving yourself. Career, likes, and dislikes, travel, etc.
3. Ask questions about everything. Soak it all in.
4. Save money, start a 401(k)
5. Have fun being single and don’t focus on settling down.
6. Find true friends as you’ll need them later. They should be there for you and happy for you.
7. Eat the pizza, ice cream, cake and laugh and do at least one thing that makes you happy daily.
8. Don’t hesitate to change jobs or ask for a raise (but be sure you are doing an excellent job).
9. You look amazing. Stop telling yourself you are not thin enough.
10. Travel to that dream destination.
11. Say yes to opportunities and don’t question yourself so much.
12. Not everyone has to like you.
13. Find your style and own it.
14. Trust your gut and trust is earned and not given.
15. Learn to take care of yourself mentally, emotionally and financially.
16. It’s ok to want babies or to get married later.
17. Learn to negotiate.
18. Buy one item you’ll cherish forever for yourself.
19. Listen to your parents, they are often more right than you think.
20. Move to a different city and live it. It’s always easy to move back.
Happiest week my friends and gift guides are coming with more blog posts as I’ve been behind! xoxo
If you love this post, these are a few other’s that you might love to read: